Matariki Art and Exhibits to Check Out in New Zealand
Posted On 21 April 2023
Matariki is an important and significant event in Māori culture, celebrating the Māori New Year and the rise of the Matariki star cluster. It is a time for reflection, renewal, and reconnection with whānau (family) and culture. As Matariki becomes more widely recognized in New Zealand, there are many art exhibitions and events that showcase the cultural significance of this occasion. Here are some of the top Matariki art and exhibits to check out in New Zealand:
- Matariki Festival: Auckland’s Matariki Festival is a month-long celebration that includes a range of events, such as art exhibitions, music performances, storytelling, and cultural workshops. It is one of the largest Matariki celebrations in New Zealand, and features both traditional and contemporary Māori art.
- Te Puia: Located in Rotorua, Te Puia is a cultural center that celebrates Māori arts and crafts. Visitors can see traditional weaving, carving, and pottery demonstrations, and there is also a gallery that showcases Māori art and design.
- Toi Māori: Toi Māori is a national organization that promotes and supports Māori art and artists. They have a range of exhibitions and events throughout the year, including a Matariki exhibition that features contemporary Māori art.
- Te Papa Tongarewa: Te Papa is the national museum of New Zealand and has a significant collection of Māori art and artifacts. They have a range of exhibitions and events throughout the year, including a Matariki program that includes storytelling, music, and art.
- City Gallery Wellington: City Gallery Wellington is a contemporary art gallery that hosts a range of exhibitions throughout the year. They have previously featured Māori artists in their exhibitions, including a Matariki-themed exhibition that explored the connections between art, culture, and the environment.
- Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki: Auckland Art Gallery is the largest art institution in New Zealand and has a significant collection of Māori art. They have a range of exhibitions throughout the year, including a Matariki-themed exhibition that explored the significance of Matariki in contemporary Māori art.
- Tauranga Art Gallery: Tauranga Art Gallery is a regional art gallery that features both contemporary and traditional art. They have previously hosted Matariki-themed exhibitions that showcase the cultural significance of this event.
In conclusion, Matariki art and exhibits provide an opportunity to learn about and celebrate Māori culture and the significance of Matariki. From traditional to contemporary art, there is a wide range of exhibitions and events that showcase the importance of this event in Māori culture.